Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My Perfect Meal

    Since I was young, I have always looked up to my father.  From his wide knowledge of trivia to his tastes in music to his love of golf, I have always latched onto his interests and taken to them myself.  But one trait my father possesses that I have never been able to grasp is his cooking.  No matter the season or occasion, it seemed as if cooking meals was a breeze to him.  Many of my fondest childhood memories revolve around my father’s cooking with my family.  Among these, summer dinners on the back porch of the family cottage in Bay View, Michigan stick out most in my mind.  While I knew my father could cook much more complex dishes, the warm feelings evoked by thoughts of those simple dinners of hamburgers, corn, watermelon, cherries, and lemonade helped me to realize exactly what my version of the “perfect meal” would be.
    As I began to draw up the menu for the meal, I realized that many of the summer delicacies that I craved for would be extremely expensive or impossible to obtain during a cold Michigan winter.  On the forefront of these cravings was sweet cherries.  These dark red cherries are a huge crop in northern Michigan and are a staple of almost all of my summer meals.  I remember 30 minute drives along the Lake Michigan shore with my grandmother to pick up pounds and pounds of the sweet treats.  For my meal, I envisioned making cherry barbecue sauce, cherry pie, and cherries to eat on the side as well.  I soon realized that even if I did find sweet cherries, they would be extremely expensive, so the idea was scrapped.  I decided that my best option was to go to Meijer and look until I found something that was right.  
    From the very beginning, shopping at Meijer was a confusing and hectic experience Having not shopped at a supermarket since this past summer, the busy crowd of a Saturday afternoon was quite overwhelming, especially when I was unsure of what to purchase.  After putting my head down and trudging through the store, I left with my idea of what a good summer meal would include: asparagus, watermelon, leaf lettuce, onions, and Kaiser buns.  Heading to my parents house, I was eager to begin cooking the meal I had been thinking about so much for the past day.
    Enlisting the help of my father, I began with the first order of business: making the barbecue sauce.  Following the directions of Food Network recipe, I was adding ingredient after ingredient: ketchup, sugar, brown sugar, onion powder, apple cider vinegar, and more.  Once all the ingredients were thoroughly mixed, I was surprised to find that the tomato-based sauce resulted in a sweet taste with thick consistency; just what I was aiming for.  After letting the sauce simmer in the microwave on low power for a few minutes, I went to work on the asparagus. 
    I have never a big fan of all the work that is involved in eating an ear of corn (and I have conflicted opinions on corn after watching Food Inc.), so I thought that asparagus could be a new addition to the meal.  I decided to roast the asparagus in the oven, then covering it with tuscan herb olive oil, fresh ground pepper and parmesan cheese.  Feeling confident in the two concoctions I had just made, I moved onto the now defrosted burgers.
    Burgers were the only dish that I felt very comfortable making, as they were the only dish on the menu I had a decent amount of past experience with.  About two summers ago, a few friends and I decided to begin grilling in a small grassy circle surrounded by streets near my cottage.  We call it “island grilling”, and it has become the only real place where I have been able to experiment with cooking.  One creation that I decided to bring from island grilling to my perfect meal was worcestershire infused burgers, mixing the sauce into the beef as the patties are being made.  After I learned that the outdoor grill was not working, I grudgingly got out the George Foreman and grilled the burgers two at a time.  I was disappointed that I would miss out on one of the best parts of making burgers, but I went on with the rest of preparation.
    Slicing the watermelon, peeling the lettuce and cutting the onions all at the same time distracted me from the burgers, but my trusty sous-chef (my father) was there to save the day and take them off the grill when they were just at medium temperature.  I found myself bouncing around making sure every dish was getting prepared in time, which made me realize how much work it is just to pull off a simple meal.  Right then, I gained a lot of perspective from my father’s job as the family cook and a lot of respect for all the years that he spent toiling in the kitchen.
    Once the final touches were made, it was finally time eat!  I had totally forgotten that we were going to be eating the food as I was so intent on finishing each item that needed to be prepared.  When I was able to sit down, I was surprised to see all of the food that I had just prepared.  As my father, brother, and host brother began to eat, I was reminded of warm summer evenings on the back porch of the cottage.  “I wish we could eat this on the porch,” said my father.  I was absolutely content, responding: “I’m fine just where we are.” 
    As we ate, I missed the back porch, but I felt completely gratified.  I had just cooked my first full meal, and I was able to share it with my family.  I learned that no matter how simple the meal, the hard work and being able to share it with the people I care with most is the perfect version to me. As we were clearing the table, my father smiled and complimented me on the meal.  After all these years, I was finally able to cook a meal for my father, and that was the best feeling of all.

11 comments:

  1. Brian,

    I like how you describe the entire food process, since buying the products to the preparation of them. I wonder if the products you bought were organic? I would also want to know more about the grilling. Were the hamburguers good? It's nice how you show that a simple meal can become a perfect meal :) Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's such a sweet earnestness about this piece. I love how it's really an homage to your dad who also got to participate in just about every part of the process. I wonder, though, why you opted not to focus on local, organic, unprocessed, etc.--and why you chose a summer meal despite its being out of season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I love how this is such an accomplishment, both the piece and the meal, I am really impressed. It was the perfect mix of background stories, memories, and stream of consciousness in terms of what you were actually thinking about when planning the meal. It sounds pretty perfect to me! One thing that caught my attention was that I didn't see you say burgers in your shopping list, just lettuce, onion and buns, which was confusing... just something small though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too really noticed how much work it can be to just create a simple meal. You did a great job describing every step of the meal. I also wondered about the organicness of your ingredients. I was also a little confused when you addressed missing the back porch, just because of the quote where you say you're fine just where you are. That's only a minor thing though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that you end on a note of pride and how focused this piece is on family and home. Like Marin commented on, the earnestness of this piece really drives us to keep reading. I felt like there was a dance between your satisfaction with the meal and a longing for something more. This negotiation is handled well, but I can't help but wonder how differently your perfect meal would have turned out if it was summer. Obviously we don't have the power to change the seasons (if only), but I would like to have a better grasp on your gratification in the end and how you reconciled the meal you wanted to prepare with the meal you executed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought it was awesome how you told the story about your father always cooking for you at the beginning and then switched it around to you preparing a meal for him. It was a really sweet story and I enjoyed reading it. I would have liked to hear about whether or not your dad had tried to teach you to cook when you were younger and what that was like. Overall, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was great. The connection to your dad is really sweet, and I liked the part where you say you gained an understanding about how much work it is to cook. It's definitely true!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This piece made me desire two things: a hamburger and summer. I love the way that you link the food to your relationship with your father and summers spent in Norther Michigan. It captivated me and made me wish I had been there to experience it too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how the story clearly shows your connection with your father and your childhood memories of the foods he cooked. I enjoyed reading this piece and I'm glad you were able to eat the meal with your father who influenced the idea for your meal. I would call that perfect. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really liked the fact that your father was part of your perfect meal. This piece is nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy the sense of family in the piece, and it makes me want to hear more about them in the context of the meal and what they were doing/ what you wanted to do for them. I was a little confused about where this was taking place/ why it was there--you set up the intentions well, I was just lost in the translation between your memory and the present.

    ReplyDelete